Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Note About Current Family Activity & Making Up Questions for the Final Exam

NOTE ABOUT FAMILY ACTIVITY: I assume you have all familiarized yourselves with the description of this family activity (previous blog post). Remember, there are two things, basically, that I want each of the families to address AS A GROUP. First, describe something your speaker (Blue Family - Zaid Shakir & Red Family - Cornel West)had to say which connects in some respect with that Baldwin passage. In general, I believe the Blue Family might have an easier time with this than the Red Family because of some of the things Imam Zaid brought out in his talk. But, in any case, this is a matter of interpretation and there is not any particular right or wrong answer. And, then, again AS A GROUP, identify what you felt was the most significant point your speaker made, especially as it relates to the legacy of Malcolm X. Once you have come to an agreement on these two points, someone from each family should post your findings as a comment on that blog post describing this activity. If possible, I'd like you to do this by next Tuesday.
______________________________

MAKING UP QUESTIONS FOR THE FINAL EXAM: We need to begin the process of having the two families confer on questions for the final exam. I'll need to have those questions (and answers) several days before our last class on May 11th when you will take this exam. I will ask each family to submit SIX SHORT-ANSWER QUESTIONS (NO true-false or multiple choice questions, but fill-in-the-blank is ok), of which I will try to accept a minumum of FOUR QUESTIONS. For each additional question I decide to use, that family will earn a bonus point, so you may earn up to two bonus points for this exercise. The questions can come from anything we have covered in class over the semester, including some material I posted on the blog, such as notes on Malcolm X's assassination. I believe both families have members who have done this for me in other classes, so they can serve as guides for those who are doing this for the first time.

I will give the families some time in class next Tuesday (the 27th) at least to get organized or perhaps divide up responsibilities. But you can all, individually, begin to give some thought to this. Then, in the following class (May 4th) I will give the families 20-30 minutes to confer and decide on which six questions each family will submit. I will, then, want a hard copy or email copy of each family's questions (and answers) NO LATER THAN 2PM WEDNESDAY, MAY 5TH. I will consider them and make my selections and then post them on the blog by FRIDAY AFTERNOON, MAY 7TH, so you can have them to study for the final exam on TUESDAY THE 11TH.

This exercise is worth 10 points, and you each have to participate to earn those points, not to mention possible bonus points.

No comments: