Wednesday, April 16, 2008

New Family Activity & Extra Credit Opportunity

As promised yesterday, I am posting a description of a new family activity which we will get into tomorrow. Also remember to begin reading Dyson's book, Making Malcolm.

FAMILY ACTIVITY: At the end of Chapter 6, "A New Spirit of Resistance: Malcolm and Martin on Children and Youth," Lewis Baldwin observes that: "The ideas, activities, and contributions of Malcolm and Martin are not being properly taught in schools. Consequently, youngsters from the pre-school to the college level are deprived of important lessons from the two men about social evil and how it might be challenged and transcended." (p. 240) In this context, I want each family to address the question of how Malcolm in particular should be taught, especially to younger children in elementary school. You should consider any personal experiences you have had or have heard of about how Malcolm has been taught and how your approach might be similar or different. I want each family to write up a ONE-PAGE summary of your ideas to turn in to me and to present to the class next Tuesday (4/22). I will give you some time tomorrow to discuss this in class with your family members. This is worth 5 activity points.

______________________

EXTRA CREDIT OPPORTUNITY: For 3 extra credit points, you can attend Tim Tyson's talk tomorrow (Thurs. 4/17, 11AM, McMillan Theater, CLB) on the Montgomery Bus Boycott. In addition to attending, I want you to post a one or two-paragraph comment on the talk, identifying any aspect of it that you found interesting and insightful, and tie it in to any aspect of our course. Basically, I just want to see evidence that you attended and thought about the talk in terms of our class.

8 comments:

Jessica O. said...

Dr. Tyson’s lecture was very enlightening. I thought it was interesting that although the movement seemed to have emerged spontaneously, there was a subtle recruitment strategy behind it. This consisted of recruiting people in a way in which anyone could join in without taking an extreme stance or getting killed. He compared this to wearing blue jeans to support Gay Rights. This strategy offered people a place where they could see themselves as democrats, taking a small part in a larger social movement that could accomplish something big if more joined in. I also liked the ending of the lecture, when Dr. Tyson pointed out that, “Martin didn’t make the movement, the movement made Martin.” He said that if people understood this they would stop wishing that Martin were still alive to lead them and instead become their own leader. This reminded me of the speeches of Imam Zaid Shakir and Dr. Cornel West which also emphasized that idea that Malcolm and Martin were powerful leaders, but that hero worship is detrimental because people must realize that they cant wait for someone to rescue them from their oppression, they must do it themselves.

Dr_G said...

Jessica O. Ok. I agree with your points. Tyson has a way of getting down to the
"nitty-gritty" of the civil rights movement.

Lakeysha said...

I found Tim Tyson’s talk very interesting. In the beginning of his talk he related certain things that have infiltrated into American culture from the black south. He spoke openly and honestly about subjects that you not expect to hear in the type of environment that we were in. I truly enjoyed when he talked about Rosa Parks and how she was more than an “old lady with tired feet”. The stereotype is that everything she did was happenstance but Rosa Parks was an integral part of the Civil Rights Movement.
Later that evening, Samie Clowney held a dinner to discuss how he felt about Tim Tyson’s talk. Mr. Clowney talked about how he really enjoyed what Dr. Tyson talked about and went a little more in depth by discussing “the suffering citizen” and what it meant in his mind. I believe inviting Tim Tyson to our campus always proves to be enlightening and beneficial to everyone that allows themselves to be open to his lessons.

Dr_G said...

Ok, Lakeysha. I might add that some of what he said about Rosa Parks and some others supports Malcolm's argument for self-defense.

Leighann said...

Dr. Tyson's lecture was very interesting. I like how he opened with the poem about wearing the mask. I feel that the poem applies to some of the people here on Wofford's campus. I also liked how we all sung "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" because he related it to the boycott. I was not aware until Dr. Tyson spoke about it, that Martin Luther King was not the person that started the boycott and that it all began with women. I also was not aware of the other roles that Rosa Parks played in the movement besides not just getting up and giving up her seat because her feet were tired. Dr. Tyson is a very interesting speaker and I would love to have him back on Wofford's campus.

Dr_G said...

Leighann, ok.

Brandi McJimpsey said...

I enjoyed both Dr. Tyson's lecture and the dinner later that evening. While he was lecturing, I couldn't help but think that we should learn history as he presented it. He didn't try to diefy Martin Luther King Jr. and neither did he try to brush over MLK as some peace lover. I also like the way he told the true character of Rosa Parks. Honestly, I thought Rosa was about 150 years old when she died. I knew that she was born in 1913 but for some reason, when she was taught in school, I was under the impression that she was at least 80-90 years old. Like Dr. Tyson said, she was not some old lady with tired feets. She was a trained activist.
Also, I like the way the he put the role of women during the civil rights movenment into perspective. If I had not researched for myself, I would have thought that the civil rights movement was a movement purely led and carried out by men. But as Dr. Tyson pointed out that women were an integral part of the struggle but most of them worked behind the scenes.

Dr_G said...

Brandi, ok.