Monday, February 8, 2010

Welcome to SOC. 306 Blog: Spring 2010

Welcome to the place in the "blogosphere" set up for this course, Sociology 306: The Sociological Lessons of the Life and Times of Malcolm X. We will be using this space over the course of the semester for what I call "individual and group activities and exercises," and for occasional posting of lecture notes and reminders. I would suggest that you check this site out at least once a week. I will usually give you notice in class if I will be posting anything on this blog or if there is an activity I'd like you to do. Often, if I feel that I did not do a terribly good job presenting something in class, I may use this blog space to make amends and try to clarify or elaborate on some remarks I made in class. You will need to check this blog prior to the final exam for some questions (and answers) that will appear on that test. Finally, I hope you will feel free to use this space to post any questions or comments you may not feel comfortable verbalizing in class.

BY THE END OF THIS FIRST WEEK OF CLASSES I WILL BE POSTING A "GET-YOUR-FEET-WET" INDIVIDUAL EXERCISE TO GET YOU ACCUSTOMED TO USING THIS BLOG. BE LOOKING FOR IT.

1 comment:

Micheala Jeter said...

In the clip "Who Are You?", Malcolm X addresses an audience of African Americans by asking them a series of questions. I feel that his speech was actually quite relevant to our time because I don't think that anyone can provide a legitimate answer to any of his questions. Who can tell him what he was before everything that happened by the hands of "the man"? No one. No one remembers; no one knows. African Americans have simply began to believe that they are what the "man" has made them. This is something that Malcolm X does not like, and for that he classifies those who cannot answer the question of "Who Are You"? as being dumb. Not necessarily being that they are dumb in a sense of intellect, but dumb in regards to knowing themselves. This is the main question around which Malcolm X gives his speech.